Pages

Saturday, July 30, 2016

My First Song vs My Last Song


Hello all,

Today I want to share a set of lyrics from two original songs I composed almost five decades apart from each other. The first reveals a generalization of innocence that dwelled inside my thirteen-year-old heart filled with a need of acceptance by the opposite sex.  The last reveals the vastness of true love passion that at present abides inside my heart thanks to finding the love of my life, who just so happens, she is my best friend forever and highest inspiration. If only I was the love of her life as well, but instead, she has accepted an engagement ring from another fine man. But hey, that’s okay––her happiness is much more important than mine. Nevertheless, I believe her vow she will always cherish and adore me in the strongest unbreakable bonding of love between best friends. Just that makes me overjoyed. Love You, too, my BFF.

How I came up with the idea to write this short topic unfolded from my last blog about borrowed chord progressions. You see, my beautiful best friend, whom I always admit to her, “I love you more than anyone could ever love someone,” has a special favorite song she adores most, and so, I too, borrowed the first three chords from that identical song and even matched the two count timing of two chords per 4/4 measure. Although my fourth chord is different, it could be mistaken as an equal, yet there’s zero doubt, my fifth chord matched one hundred percent to my darling’s favorite song.  In no time, a new melody flourished from those chord strums and words inside my hopeless romantic soul poured out precise feelings how she alone secures my full devotion eternally.

As my thoughts raced, pondering how to present this week’s post, I chuckled to myself, not ready to plead guilty of stealing. Who hunts down their new neighbor expecting payback after they borrowed a cup of sugar? Then it dawned on me. The first time I accomplished writing a love song occurred while entering the 8th grade. Influenced at best, by the Beatles, I borrowed from the most common chord progression used in maybe a hundred rock songs between the late 50s and mid-60s, In fact, I’ll bet every person reading this has pointer-finger played the ivory key notes to this very same C-Am-F-G progression with a cohort on the piano. Does Heart and Soul ring a bell? That’s right, my first song bypassed an uncollectable IOU and instigated the exact chord pattern, but with a different melody, like the Beatles used on the bridge of I Want To hold Your Hand, and like the chorus and verses on Tell me Why, or like the Everly Brothers used on All I Have To Do Is Dream. Here lays the result:

I WANT A GIRL by Don Maeder (written the first week of school, September 1965)

I want a girl who would love to be mine. I want a girl who would love to be kind. I want a girl who would never be cruel. I want a girl who looks just like you. I want a girl, just a girl for my own, all for my own. Because all through my life I’ve been alone, all alone.

Now I’ve got this girl and she’s mine all mine, and she’ll be mine all of the time.

Now I don’t need a girl to be mine, and I don’t need a girl to be kind, and I don’t need a girl who would never be cruel. Because it’s true, I’ve got you.

Whew! Oh, the days of puppy love can sure play tricks on a young boy’s belief he had broken the lock to something great within himself. Fooled he had supernaturally been empowered by the astonishing gift to write music like his Liverpool heroes.  Yuk, what awful rubbish drooled out of my amateurish head from the lack of experience. Two years later, however, still in awe of the Beatles, my songs improved to the realization a group of girls actually formed a Don Maeder fan club attending our first year in high school. The membership count never exceeded twenty, but it was a fan club all the same. When high school came to a close, graduation day put an end to homework and week-long study assignments for tests, therefore, free time made wonderful advances toward composing better and better love songs.

And speaking of better love songs, my last set of lyrics is by far my favorite of all, but I can’t decide if on account they were written with experience or owing to the circumstance every line is pure reality. Reality that shows how much I so deeply love the most beautiful woman who shall forever possess ownership of my heart. They say love conquers all, therefore I’m leaning she is the reason it’s my favorite. Ever since she entered my life, I’ve become a better man.  And so, without further ado, here lays the results of a hopeless romantic truly in love.            

Satisfy The Purpose by Don Maeder (written for my best friend January 2013)
Listen in as you follow along with the lyrics on this tune by a quick copy and paste here: https://bit.ly/2Tkk3hm

Baby, baby. You alone are the only beauty that can satisfy the purpose for which my eyes were meant to see how beauty is meant to be. This wedding ring will prove my love is true. No one can hold a candle next to you. And you alone are the only music that can satisfy the purpose for which my ears were made to hear how music is sincere, by each and every love song we endear, our cheeks to cheek are filled with happy tears.

Baby, baby. You alone are the only sweetness that can satisfy the purpose for which my lips were made to taste, a flavor to embrace. A surprising essence fills my mouth with bliss. From your head to toes I savor every kiss. And you alone are the only fragrance that can satisfy the purpose for which my sense of smell exists, your scent I can’t resist. We both favor heart-felt foreplay. Your whole body creates an arousing bouquet.

Baby, baby. You alone are the only softness that can satisfy the purpose for which I crave you to caress, your silky skin is oh so blessed. My paradise is wrapped inside your arms. Making love to all your wondrous charms. And you alone, my love, are everything that satisfies the purpose for which my life was made to live, all we receive and all we give is our pledge of forever faithfulness. I’ll shield and serve you with the highest noblest.  Baby, baby.

By the way, do you recall my powerful dedication phrase of pure worship and care for my best friend sweetheart? You know, the one that says, “I love you more than anyone could ever love someone.” Well, these same words spill off the tongue of FBI Agent Heath Wilson and his love interest, Tiffany, inside my Novel, Beatlemaniac.  There are many portions of dialog throughout this book, first spoken within tender moments amongst myself and the woman of my dreams.  So much so, that for my birthday in 2016, out of the many gifts she surprised me with, she included a spectacular blue t-shirt of high quality, with an appropriate caption on the front stating––“I’m a Writer. . . Everything you say or do may end up in my Novel.” She’s perfect. Genuinely perfect that by virtue of falling in love with my best friend makes me the luckiest man in the world for one utmost reason––in heaven, she will finally love me as much as I love her. . . indeed forever. Oh, if your curious about my angel baby’s favorite song title, you can be sure it ended up in my Novel.    

No comments:

Post a Comment