Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Picking a favorite Beatles song is not easy.


Hello Beatles fans,

If you’re anything like me, it took just nine seconds of listening to your first Beatle song, then realize without a doubt, their sound was the best. In my case, that happened with "I Want To Hold Your Hand" early January 1964.  If you’re also like me, you could never pin down a favorite tune by the Beatles, because there were so many fabulous tracks to choose from.  In truth, the task kept me undecided until the year 2010 to finally discover which individual song held my highest praise, and believe it or not, it is the same song the Beatles selected for the B-side on their Great Britain single of "I Want To Hold Your Hand," called "This Boy." Oh, I know the B-side for the American single distributed through Capitol Records is "I Saw Her Standing There", but the tie-in link B-side John wanted on the single 45 rpm released in their home country is pretty cool.

     Once I received the new album, Meet the Beatles, "This Boy" stood out somewhat above the rest, but heck, I really liked every song they performed. Album after album never once disappointed my enthusiasm, and I continued to accept every song as a magical phenomenon. But out of nowhere, another masterpiece conquered my appreciation for the lads from their beautiful arrangement on “Yes It Is.” Gourmet delicacy on the grandest scale to the ear.  

     When "Yes It Is" first played on my High-Fi, I froze, almost paralyzed, struck with the outstanding melody, plus intricate ways their 3-part harmony glided through the marvelous guitar chord changes. Many years later, I had learned that John claimed it was simply a remake of "This Boy." No wonder I was spellbound.
     

Month after month, as I would listen to radio station KRLA, individual songs would grab my attention faster than a Bob's Big Boy Hamburger. The reason these songs grew such appeal to my taste was the chord structure... I figured this out also during the year 2010. Hence, any song sounding somewhat like "This Boy" got my vote for greatness. Let me give you some examples and later you might like to try this little eye-opener for yourselves why certain songs pull you in.

    Here is my list. Twenty-six Miles Across the Sea by the Four Preps, Surfer Girl, by the Beach Boys, Last Kiss by J Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers, Image of a Girl, by the Safaris, I Go to Pieces, and True Love Ways, by Peter and Gordon, A Summer Song, by Chad and Jeremy, I'm Telling You Now, by Freddie and the Dreamers, Everyone's Gone to the Moon, by Jonathan King, East West, by Herman's Hermits, You're the One, by the Vogues, Three Kisses of Love, Birdie Told Me, and I Started A Joke, by the Bee Gees, The 12th of Never, by Johnny Mathis, The End Of The World, by Skeeter Davis, Everything That Touches You, by the Association, Toast and Marmalade for Tea, by Tin Tin, and of course, a lot of songs released by the Beatles using forms of that awesome appealing chord structure, such as, Please Mr. Postman, Devil In Her Heart, Tell Me Why, I’m Happy Just To Dance With You, You’re Going To Lose That Girl, It’s Only Love, chorus of Girl, Penny Lane, With A Little Help From My Friends, chorus of Happiness Is A Warm Gun, I Will, Piggies by George, and Octopus's Garden by Ringo.

Tell us some of your favs that remind you of a treasured Beatles track and why.


No comments:

Post a Comment