Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Once a Beatles Fan, Always a Beatles Fan


 If there was one direct feature why you became a Beatles fan, how would you describe that poignant memory that took you over the edge? The main reason these four musicians captured your attention and left you wanting more, much more that you converted as a true-blue follower and nothing anyone else or the world tried to offer could break the bond.

For female teenagers, first inside Liverpool, then all seven continents’, it was the boys good looking, handsome presence behind their sparkling eyes and dashing smiles. For Neil Aspinall, it was the thrill of being Pete Best’s closest friend and roommate, then acceptance as a staunch advisor within all aspects the Beatles emerged themselves. For Klaus Voorman, it was the driving beat spilling onto the streets of Hamburg. For Brian Epstein, it was the lad's personal charm, For George Martin, it was the fellow's cheeky sense of humor, then, of course, the raw talent. For Ed Sullivan, it was the enormous young crowds of hysterical cheering enthusiasts lined up along the observation platform at London Airport (now known as Heathrow) welcoming back their musical idols. For Bob Dylan, he thought the mop-tops smoked marijuana. And for me, it was the intricate melodies woven with finesse throughout impressive structured chord progressions, which in my opinion, always over complemented their composition style.

From as far back as I can remember, melodies in music enriched dominance to provide the sweetest icing on the most scrumptious cakes inside my ears. During the month of May 1955, at only two years and ten months old, Davy Crockett’s theme song and movie by Walt Disney Productions, seized every fiber of my being and secured a melody I could repeat. Just a short time later, The Mickey Mouse Club debuted on October 3, 1955, sharing lots of exciting songs with sound pleasing melodies children rallied around. I loved Jimmy Dodd; he wrote most of the tunes. . . And no, love didn’t bloom on the basis he played the Mousegetar, he was so good and kind to the kids, and that type of conduct won me over. I could sing most every selection the Mouseketeers performed on my black and white television set.

In 1956, near the end of November, seated around the same old black and white TV, mom and dad introduced me to Judy Garland’s Wizard of Oz and boy oh boy, the musical film garnished a tremendous amount of memorable melodies forever planted happily alongside my brain. My favorite character year after year never abandoned the Scarecrow.

In 1958, a few months before my sixth birthday, Ross Bagdasarian, a.k.a. Dave Seville, released Witch Doctor, a novelty rock song––Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang that never failed to pinch a couple of my parent's nickels dropped in the mini jukebox stationed at our personal restaurant table. The same year my favorite Christmas song starred the Chipmunks’ singing, Christmas Don’t Be Late, a great melody and such fun for youngsters.

By 1960, Elvis and Everly Brothers records started a continuous path from store shelf to bedroom closet, bringing super-duper melodies upon my soul when played after school.

However, my melody attraction’s crème de la crème, found the mother lode January 1964 when Capitol Records released Meet the Beatles and routinely the boys continued to amaze me with brilliant favorable melodies throughout their short-lived six-year career invasion of the planet Earth. So sad, it had to end much too soon.

Okay, your turn. What main reason turned you into a Beatles fan?  Leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment