Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2016

And now for something completely different.


Hello,

Today I wish to swerve off the chosen trail of Beatle lore, and let you all in on a new discovery my new doctor revealed yesterday as to my condition of health. He found the cause of my abdominal cramps that had a habit of flaring up every four months ever since September 2008 and I’m so relieved he knows the motive. Numerous 911 calls and ambulance rides in the past to the Emergency Room never could locate the actual reason for my discomfort. The diagnosis always pointed to the inception of possible Diverticulosis, by virtue I consumed way too many peanuts watching baseball games. As you can guess, I stopped inhaling peanuts, but those awful twinges tearing at my mid-drift kept returning.   

Thanks to an increase in yearly income, I took an opportunity to change my medical plan to commence this August 1st. I felt pretty good about my decision since I had reached status of senior citizen, and the aging body my soul lived in seemed to be at the threshold of more zones primed for complaints. Sure enough, last Sunday I ate a scrambled egg sandwich for breakfast around 9:30 am and by 10:00 am, I was laid out flat in the fetal position, with a pain level not as severe as before, yet, full aware not a single peanut slipped past my tonsils. After a few hours, I tried pain medication a doctor prescribed for me from my prior ER visit last March, but the pill didn’t remove all the pain. I waited the six hours and tried more meds and they did nothing at all to help. I went to bed and tossed all through the night nitpicking pros and cons over dialing 911.

7:00 am Monday, I phoned my new Health Provider and after a thorough discussion with an on call ER physician, she suggested I get acquainted with my new doctor. An opening for 9:00 am showed and I grabbed the slot. Over the phone, she then explained the facility I would arrive at was a full-service medical building capable of detecting my troubled source. Before 11:30, I was out the door with a new four-day follow-up appointment per my general practitioner, a non-feeling needle poke in the arm, and antibiotics plus verbal instructions issued by the pharmacist.

Come Friday, what a shock to learn the grand doctor unearthed I’m allergic to wheat, barley, and rye. He said a condition known as Celiac Disease took up residency underneath my belly-button. In layman’s terms, the doctor made clear it was essential I switch to a gluten free diet. No wonder cramps resurfaced at the drop of a hat, I’m such a fan for fast-food hamburgers, Quiznos toasted sandwiches and pizza. From now on, bread products are off limits. But hey, that’s not a big deal compared to the agony otherwise.

If by chance these stomach issues ring a bell, after eating items made with the types of grains and flour that harm me, please tell your doctor. Also take a glance at the website below for some amazing information about gluten free diets. Stay well, my friends.

https://celiac.org/live-gluten-free/glutenfreediet/food-options/


No comments:

Post a Comment